Other Research Capabilities
In addition to the specific capabilities separately listed, the OSU Nuclear Reactor Laboratory also has other experiment and testing capabilities, including:
- In-core irradiation of samples: the OSURR has three in-core dry tubes in which encapsulated samples can be irradiated. The CIF and AIF and PIF tubes each have special sample carrier baskets available that can be used to hold samples for irradiations.
- Ex-core irradiation of samples: the OSURR has multiple ex-core large-experiment dry tubes in which encapsulated samples can be irradiated.
- Timed irradiation of samples using polyethylene bottles in a pneumatic facility. The “rabbit” pneumatic irradiation facility makes use of a vacuum system for insertion and extraction of samples in two-inch outer-diameter sample carriers for precisely-timed irradiations. The transfer time is less than a second.
- Irradiation of samples or experiments with thermal neutrons using a thermal column.
- Gamma-ray irradiation of experiments using a Co-60 underwater irradiator, a Cs-137 benchtop irradiator, or a Sc-46 spot irradiator.